Hodgepodge Wednesday ~ May Happenings

Welcome to my little corner of blog land and Hodgepodge Wednesday!
May your day be filled with sunshine and happy moments!
1. It’s still May, right? When were you last in the middle of something that might be described as mayhem?
Right now, I seem to be in the middle of mayhem. I am in the midst of planning my daughter’s wedding. She is getting married at the end of May and as the day draws closer still…I keep finding more and more that needs to be done. Phone calls to make, catering orders to place, decor to finish. In the middle of all of this planning, I am also trying to wrap up the homeschool year with my two younger sons. So very busy and very much MayHem around here!
The special sign that I painted for my daughter’s wedding day. =)
2. When did you last feel dismayed?

One of the more recent times I remember this feeling was when my son left a red crayon in his pocket and it went through the wash and then the dryer. My poor dryer will never be the same again. Can you say ‘pink’ socks and ‘pink’ everything else. =(

3. What’s a food combination you like, but other people may find strange?

Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches would probably top the list. The combination of salty and sweet are perfect. My mother has the strangest food combination. That I think is positively gross. She loves peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. Go figure? Could never understand that…
4. “It is never too late to be what you might have been.”  Do you think that’s true? Why or why not?
My brother-in-law illustrates this point rather well. He recently went back to school for his bachelor’s degree! I guess we are never too old to change or to learn! =) Although, you can never take back words wrongfully spoken or actions you regret.  But you can try to go forward today and be the best you can be.
5.  US News and World Report  listed the best historic destinations in the US as follows – Washington DC, Philadelphia PA, Williamsburg VA, Charleston SC, Boston MA, Richmond VA, Savannah GA, Santa Fe NM, Yellowstone, San Antonio TX, San Francisco CA, New Orleans LA, & Charlottesville VA.

Of those listed how many have you seen in person? Which two sites on the list would you like to see most in person?

I have visited Washington, DC., Charleston, SC, Richmond, VA and Savannah, GA.

This past year, we moved to Williamsburg, Virginia for three months while my husband had cancer treatments in Hampton. It was a lovely, lovely experience and a beautiful place to call our temporary home. While there we visited many of the historical sites including Colonial Williamsburg. It is a unique experience, that I would highly recommend. =)

My son Espen beating Flax at Yorktown.

I would love to visit San Francisco, California and Yellowstone.
My parents have visited there and say it is beautiful.

6. May is national physical fitness and sports month. If you had to participate in a single fitness activity, for the next half hour, which activity would you choose?

Yoga! It is my personal favorite way to exercise.

Source Internet.

7.  What did you like best about the city, town or neighborhood where you grew up?

I loved that we lived out in the country at least a 30 minute drive to the nearest big city. It was a quiet neighborhood, where we spent much of our childhood outdoors. Video games did not exist. We helped our parents in their vegetable garden in the summer. It was a special place to grow up.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
In my neck of the woods, the yards are filled with flowers. My roses are loving the spring here. There are so many blooms! My two year old apricot carpet rose is loaded with roses. The marigolds in my window boxes are so cheerful.  My Iris patch is bursting at the seams with blooms. My heart is happy to see so many flowers fill my yard. My poor camera does not do them justice, but thought I would share a few photos of my roses  Clematis and more. My son Espen and I recently made a bird feeder out of a coffee can. It turned out so cute I thought I would share a picture of it too! I found the idea on pinterest…Below is the link, just in case you want to make one for yourself! Mine has been filled with chickadee’s and cardinals all week.
Easy Coffee Can Birdy Feeders
Jessie at The Thriftiness Miss blog gives an excellent tutorial on how to make one. They are too cute. =)

Our coffee can birdy feeder. Isn’t it sweet!

Some of my roses.

My apricot tea rose.

Clematis
Marigolds

On a little different note, I was gifted with some gorgeous flowers for Mother’s Day from my son.
My father-in-law gave me these beautiful peonies yesterday. They smell like heaven.
Have a gorgeous Wednesday!
Blessings and Sunshine,

16 Responses to Hodgepodge Wednesday ~ May Happenings

1. Joyce says:

Your flowers are gorgeous! And I love your wedding sign : ) Another Hodgepodger (Pam at Empty Nest) has a daughter getting married next weekend. May is a lovely time for a wedding. The crayon in the washer would most definitely dismay!

2. Deanna Tuck says:

I love your flowers, Val. I could smell the peonies when you spoke about them. For some strange reasons, mine don't smell good this year.
    I am glad that I read your Hodgepodge Wednesday. It lifted my spirits, when I saw your flowers and birdfeeder made out the coffee can.

3. What beautiful flowers! I did like Williamsburg too. It was a different place for me but definitely learned a few things. 🙂

4. I LOVE the coffee can bird feeder!! It's adorable 🙂 Thanks so much for the shout out too!

Hi Valerie, I thought I'd stop by. I found your blog through Marqueta's. Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding. Two of my daughter's are married and it was a wonderful crazy time planning the weddings with them. God bless!

Dear Joyce, Thank you! I really love my flower garden, it brings me such joy. Thanks for pointing me over to Pam at Empty Nest! It seems we have quite a bit in common. =) May is a very lovely month for a wedding, I am looking forward to seeing my Chloe walk down the aisle. Thank you for dropping by. I appreciate your kind words, they made me smile. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

Dear sweet Deanna, Thank you! The peonies are pretty special. Herbert gave them to me in a big bunch and they smell so sweet. A cheery spot in my kitchen. Glad you dropped by.
    Much hugs, Valerie

Dear Nikki, Thank you! Thanks for dropping in for a visit. I am a new follower of your lovely blog. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

Dear Jessie, Thank you for the inspiration for the little bird feeder. It is now one of my favorites. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

Dear Mrs. R.
    I'm so glad you stopped by! Thank you so much for following along on my blog. It is a work in progress. I have loved planning my daughter's wedding, but it will also be a relief when the planning stage is finished. =) I just popped over to your very lovely blog, and am looking forward to following along.
    Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

I had a lovely visit, dear Valerie 🙂 It's always a joy learning more about fellow bloggers.

Your sandwich sounds. . .interesting 🙂 Maybe I will be brave enough to try it. haha

And your flowers! Oh my, what beauty. As I looked at the photos it was like I could almost smell them. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful day!

Hugs and blessings!

12. Barb says:

Hi Valerie!

Thank you for visiting my blog – it's always so nice to meet a new friend!

What a fun post! I love hearing about how other people think and live, and you sound like you just enjoy your life to the fullest!

A wedding, how wonderful! Good luck with all your preparations, that is a huge task, but so rewarding!

The pictures of your flowers are just gorgeous – here in Idaho, we are still at the Tulip stage! I'm looking forward to warmer weather and more flowers!

Barb

Dear Stephanie, I am so glad that you dropped in for a visit. Thank you! =) Blessings, Valerie

Dear Barb, I'm so glad that you dropped by for a visit. I know your tulips are simply lovely. I have some tulips, but haven't been very faithful about digging them up every year. 😉
    Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

15. Pamela says:

Such an interesting post! I'm wedding planning, too, but my daughter isn't getting married until December.

Really though…wouldn't bacon be good on anything? I had it on an eclair the other day.

Dear Pamela, I am so happy you dropped by for a visit. =) I need to pop over and visit your blog today. =) Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. The planning is so much fun, but I am happy it is drawing to a close here. Only two weeks to go!
    Yes, I have a love affair with bacon. =) It sounds yummy on an eclair. The perfect combination!!
    Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie