Living A Fairy Tale

What is a fairy tale?

Recently this little question flitted across my train of thought.  My very next thought was, “I am living a fairy tale.”

I recently looked up the definition of fairy tale. Some of the definitions were good, some not so good. The kind of fairy tale that I am referring to is a happy tale, though not without hardships. Every life must have a measure of sunshine and rain. It helps to balance the soul.

There are two definitions that apply to my own life in reference to the fairy tale.

The first: a story involving fantastic forces and beings.

The second:  a story in which improbable events lead to a happy ending.

a-fairy-tale

When I look back over my life, I see many times where God’s hand has moved.

So many instances where His hand has guided, kept, changed, forgiven, corrected, brightened & saved. God, the ultimate fantastic force and being.

The creator, my Father, my friend, my Saviour, I am so very grateful for his hand in my life. There have been so many times, when I have worried, fretted and doubted. Yet through it all, God was in control whether or not I wanted to admit it.

My life is filled with improbable events, does that make it a fairy tale?

One of the most improbable events, was that I married at the tender age of 17. I moved away from home and family to set up housekeeping in a new town. I was thrilled, excited and obviously oblivious to the many snares and pitfalls that are in life’s way.

I never doubted that marrying at such a young age was the right path for me.

I just did it! I vowed those wedding vows, and meant them with every beat of my heart. I have never looked back.

By God’s grace, we will be married for 24 years, this summer. Life has been good. We still love each other with that same pure love that we possessed on our wedding day. I was blessed from the beginning with a good man.

I have had five healthy children.

This in itself is a miracle. When you begin to think of all that can and does go wrong in some pregnancies, I feel very fortunate to have had five normal ones! God was merciful and very good to me. My children have been healthy and happy.

There is some loss in every life.

I lost the baby in my second pregnancy during the 5th month. It was a little boy, he just died in my womb. I thought I would never recover from that heartbreak. But God knew better. He gave me 4 healthy children to follow.

Not a week goes by, that I do not think of that little one in heaven. But I am very grateful, that God chose to fill my arms, heart and life with so many little ones to help heal that void. I know some are not as fortunate.

There is often great blessing hidden in our struggles.

One of my sons has Asperger’s Syndrome. He has struggled with many heartaches and because he has, I have too. But he has overcome much! He is now a pleasant young man, who would do anything and everything to help me out around the house. He is caring, loving and kind. Something they once told me that he would never have the real ability to do.

It is a miracle. God is good.

Marriage is work but it helps when you share common ground.

My husband and I have been through many trials and struggles, as does any couple who has been together for long years.  But, we have managed to hold on to the flame that keeps our love alive. We have a common faith. This binds us together. We work and move as one, a blessing to be sure.

My life is a fairy tale. A story filled with improbable events, leading to a happy ending.

I could write about countless experiences, some pleasant, some fairly horrific. But in the end, the SON is shining. I always come back to rest in the safe harbor that God has prepared for me. I hope and pray that I never leave that harbor and that I continue to rely on the only anchor that can save me.

I am living a fairy tale. For that I am grateful.

a-fairy-tale-1

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

18 Responses to Living A Fairy Tale

1. this is a beautiful post
    I am in tears reading about your unborn ;( my niece is almost 6 months and having very server problems we pray daily that she does not loose the baby. I am so greatful that you have 4 other to help you along. I am now following you and hope that you will do the same. Thank you for stopping by. blessings

Dear Gilligan Maryanne…
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your very sweet comments. I will say a prayer for your niece…hope all goes well for her. I will follow your blog too! Thanks for following along with mine. =) Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

3. Denise says:

So very sorry for the loss of your precious son. Praise God for blessing you with the gift of four other children. This was a beautiful post, very touching. Thanks for the kind words you left on my blog. I appreciate you following me, I am now following you.

Dear Denise,
    Thank you for your kind words. Thanks for the follow! Come again soon. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

5. Valerie,
    thank you so much!!!
    I am sorry I accidentally
    deleted your comment the last one grrr I deleted all of them waiting by mistake ;(
    happy weekend

Dear Gilligan Maryanne,
    You are welcome! Oh, I totally understand, all of these blogging gizmos are very testy things sometimes. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

7. What a beautiful story of your marriage. God is faithful.

8. Susan says:

Oh Valerie. That was a beautiful post. Imagine! You married so young and are a living example that early age marriage CAN work. Praise the Lord.

Yes, my dear Valerie, you ARE a living fairytale.

Your post was inspiring. You should write a book! Susan p.s. Thank you, also, for the sweet message you left on my blog.

Valerie, my heart goes out to you. What a beautiful post you've written. I will never understand why such things happen but I do know that God uses them for His glory and gives us a spirit of contentment and joy in spite of our circumstances. Thank you for sharing with us!

My dear Valerie, your post was absolutely beautiful and quite touching! Several tears welled up in my eyes as I read your words.

Also, is that a photo of you and your husband? The two of you look way too young to have had a daughter just get married 🙂

Hugs and blessings!

Dear Judy,
    Thank you so much for your kind comment. God is so faithful and I am so thankful. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

Dear Susan,
    Thank you for your sweet words. =) I hope I am a good example, especially for my children. =) My life has been such a sweet, wonderful experience…I really enjoy sharing it with others.
    Wish I could write a book! But I wouldn't even know where to begin. 😉 Guess I stick to blogging for now. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

Dear Mrs. R.,
    Thank you so much for your sweet comments. It is truly amazing the contentment that God can put into our hearts, if we just allow Him there. =) Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

Dear Vickie,
    Thank you for your kind comment and I am so glad you followed along!
    Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

My Dear Friend Stephanie,
    Thank you so much for your sweet comments. You always write such heartfelt words. =) Yes, that is a picture of my husband and I on our daughter's wedding day just a little over a week ago! We are looking our middle aged selves. But that is okay, because life is good and ever so sweet. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

16. Barb says:

Hi Valerie!

What a beautiful post! Life certainly can throw us a few hard curves, but in the end, it's all about the choices we make, and how we choose to live our lives. What a heart break it must have been to lose such a precious little boy – I know how difficult that must have been for you and your sweet husband. But, God does love us, and knows how to dry our tears.

Fairy tales are all about happy endings, and I see a really good one for you! I can tell you are a good mother and wife, love God, and have much hope for the future!

Have a wonderful week!

Hugs,
    Barb

Dear Barb,
    Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I am hoping for a happily ever after. =) I lost that little one over 19 years ago…but it still makes my heart ache when I think about it. 😉 I don't feel worthy of all of the blessings that have followed, but I sure am grateful.
    Hope you have a fantastic week.
    Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie