10 Simple Ways to Love on Yourself for Valentine’s Day

Sometimes self-care is the best gift you can give yourself.

The importance of self care is often overlooked in chronic illness. But, the person we see in the mirror everyday is perhaps one of the best friends we will ever have! We understand ourselves better than anyone else can, especially when it comes to our limitations and our pain. We also understand better than anyone where our happy place is and what can take us there!

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I thought that I would share a few of the ways that I have found to “love myself,” despite chronic illness. Self love might sound like a puffed up thought, self centered and perhaps even a bit egotistical. But, I have found that the route to a happier me is through self acceptance and learning to love the me in the mirror.

Sometimes happiness is hidden in the most unexpected places and even the simplest of pleasures can make a dark day bright again. Below is a simple list of “things” that have helped to make my life a brighter place. I hope it inspires you to find your own personal happy and discover rays of sunshine you never knew existed. So without further rambling, the list!

10 Ways I show self love and care despite my chronic illness.

Melt away your troubles with a Dr. Teal’s lavender scented Epsom salt bath.

One of the small ways that I pamper myself is to buy nice smelling bath salts. Dr. Teal’s lavender scented Epsom salt smells amazing and is very relaxing and economical. As a Lyme disease sufferer, Epsom salts have become a necessary part of my weekly routine. They aid in detoxification and pain relief. Why use plain old Epsom salt when you can have the heavenly, relaxing scent of lavender in your bath?

Always make sure to drink a glass of water before and after taking a hot bath. Unwind, soothe away tight, achy muscles and float away on a lavender wave. It always makes me feel better, even if I do have to go to bed afterwards.
Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt Lavender

Young Living Lavender essential oil helps with anxiety and relaxation.

I am in love with Young Living’s lavender essential oil. I just put a few drops into my Organic Aroma’s diffuser for a relaxing get away.

You can read my review about Organic Aroma’s wonderful essential oil diffusers here, Organic Aromas Essential Oil Diffuser Review. I am totally in love with mine.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Young Living oils. Treat yourself to some of this soothing and high quality essential oil. It has become a permanent part of my bedtime routine. It smells heavenly and it works!

Young Living's Lavender Oil Helps With Relaxation & Anxiety in Chronic Illness

Life-Flo’s Magnesium oil spray for pain relief

I absolutely love Life-Flo’s pure magnesium oil spray. This non-greasy, light weight oil comes in a convenient spray bottle. It absorbs quickly into my skin and I can always tell a significant drop in my muscle pain and cramps after using it. I use it every night at bedtime and it helps me sleep! I wouldn’t be without this product.

Magnesium Oil For Fibromyaliga & Lyme Pain

OM SHE Body butter with Sea Minerals

My son originally bought this wonderful body butter for me as a gift. But, I must confess that I have quite literally fallen in love with it. It is non-greasy, fast absorbing and has a light, clean smell. It is sulfate free, paraben free, vegan friendly and very gentle on my sensitive skin.

I love how it hydrates long after I apply it. It is like luxury in a jar. It feels like a spa experience for my dry, itchy, sensitive skin. You will love it! Who can resist a rich, soothing body butter?

Om SHE Body ButterLike A Spa ExperienceFor Dry Skin

Lavender Migraine Pillow

Over the Christmas holidays, I came across this lovely little lavender migraine pillow at Marshall’s department store. It has a soft, subtle scent and I absolutely love it! You can pop it in the fridge to transform it into a cooling pack for your head or pop it in the microwave to gently warm it up for a heat compress.

I use it each and every week. It is quite possibly one of the best investments I have made to date! It is compact so it is very easy to pop it into my purse when I have to be away from home.

I found some comparable ones on Amazon for very decent prices. I believe Etsy also has a wide variety to pick from. These from Simply Flax on Etsy are so cute! Simply Flax Lavender Migraine Pillow

Lavender Migraine PillowHelps Relieve HeadachePain

Anne of Green Gables The Complete Collection on Kindle

My sweet husband bought me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I love the fact that my Kindle has a blue shade for tempering the screen glare and that I can prop it up using the cover so my arms do not get overly fatigued holding it.

Over the holidays I found the entire collection of Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery for free on Amazon. With the beautiful Prince Edward Island as a backdrop, they are such a relaxing and light-hearted read. These magical books take me straight back to my childhood, where I spent entire summer days with my nose buried in a book.

There are tons of free digital books that you can download. I am a recently converted fan! So, bury your nose in a book, even if it is digital!

Bury Your Nose In A Book,Even if it isDigital!

My love of fuzzy socks continues.

Nothing beats a pair of cozy, fuzzy slipper socks when you are stuck at home fighting pain day in and day out. They are like a gentle hug for your feet.

They come in so many colors, styles and patterns, I usually buy mine at Marshall’s or Kohl’s. For under $10 you can treat yourself to some warm, fuzzy foot love. I love bright colors, they put a bit of fun in a day spent largely resting.

When you are feeling down, nothing says warm fuzzies like a pair of cozy socks.

I Love Lucy Collection on DVD

Whoever said that laughter is good medicine spoke the truth. Some days I just need a genuine laugh. Lucille Ball is synonymous with the best kind of laughter. I Love Lucy remains one of my favorite comedy shows.

A few years ago, I spotted these I Love Lucy collections at my local Costco. They were one of the best investments I have ever made. Who can resist Lucy stuffing chocolate in her mouth and getting a little tipsy doing a television commercial. This is seriously funny stuff.

Whenever I am down, I just pop in Lucy and laugh to my heart’s content. What old comedy shows bring you joy? Find one and take your medicine, laughter that is!

SometimesLaughter isThe BestMedicine.

Really Cool Coffee Mugs Help The Medicine Go Down

To say I am a fan of coffee is an understatement. However, I have not safely been able to drink coffee for many years. Due to heart problems and Lyme disease, I have had to bid adieu to my favorite drink in all the world.

Over the years, I have enmassed an eclectic collection of coffee mugs. They range from funny to ridiculous. What can I say, I love unique things. But what is a girl to do with a ton of coffee mugs when she can’t drink coffee? Why, drink tea of course.

I am in love with dandelion tea. Especially the dandelion tea that comes from the wonderful Republic of Tea. It seriously smells and tastes like heaven. But, why drink it out of a boring mug when you can have every color of the rainbow?

Etsy abounds with coffee mugs that will delight you. This one that says “Leggings are pants”  is my personal favorite. Since I obviously live in my leggings.

Have you heard,Tea is the new coffee!

Pretty note cards make my heart smile.

There is just something about beautiful stationary that makes my heart sing. I love pretty paper.

Although, I do not often have the energy to write long letters anymore. I still love to write short notes to friends and family, thanking them for all of the help and care that they show to me throughout the year. It is my simple way of giving back, when others have given me so much. After all, who doesn’t like to get fun mail?

There are so many fun places that you can buy pretty note cards and writing paper. But, I personally love Etsy’s unique selection. I am loving these flamingo note cards right now!

thinking-of-you-907844_1280

Remember be kind to the you in the mirror and look around you might just find more rainbows exist than you first believed possible.

I hope you have enjoyed my little ramble through a few of my favorite things. Happy heart day to you my lovely readers. I appreciate each and every one of you.

40 Responses to 10 Simple Ways to Love on Yourself for Valentine’s Day

1. I Love Lucy is one of my favorite shows ever!! I’m glad it brings you joy, too. I also need that dang headache pillow.
    Liz from lizwilcox.com recently posted…Our RV Story: Finding DixieMy Profile

Dear Liz,
      Thank you so much for reading! Lucy is fabulous isn’t she! You would love the lavender pillow, it is my new favorite thing. =) Blessings, Valerie

2. Priscilla says:

I love Lucy too and dandelion tea is one of my favs. Love ya all the time. Love Mom

3. Rebecca says:

While a little on the pricier side, I’m treating myself to a massage for Valentine’s Day! Definitely drink a lot of water, but massages help melt the aches away and help your body detox.

4. ItalianBelly says:

Lavender is my go to essential oil for relaxation and I also love fuzzy socks! I have to confess that I am still wearing my Christmas fuzzy socks with a full on reindeer head on the side. no joke. #mondaysocialshare

Dear Italian Belly,
      Thank you so much for reading and your lovely comment. Those Christmas socks sound like lots of fun! =) Happy Monday! Valerie

5. Brittany W says:

A lavender migraine pillow sounds amazing! These are great ideas to treat yourself for valentines Day.
    Brittany W recently posted…Three Ways to Style a LuLaRoe CassieMy Profile

Dear Brittany,
      I love this little pillow! It really does help and it is so simple to use. Thanks for your lovely comment and for reading.

6. Kami says:

Your lavender goodies sound amazing! That scent is so relaxing to me. I drink a Honey Lavender tea sometimes that relaxes me. Such great ideas, Valerie! <3

Dear Kami,
      Honey Lavender tea sounds amazing! I will have to try that soon! Thank you for reading. Blessings, Valerie

7. What great ways to pamper yourself! Everyone needs a little me time from time to time!
    Rabia @ The Liebers recently posted…Two Become OneMy Profile

Dear Rabia,
      Thank you so much for reading and the lovely comment. I agree, me time is the best! Blessings, Valerie

8. Sarah says:

Such great reminders! Love the cozy, fuzzy socks idea :).

Sarah
    Trendy & Tidy

9. I love Lavender essential oil and Epsom salts! So relaxing!
    Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms recently posted…Fantastic Children’s Books About LoveMy Profile

10. Aundrea says:

I love all things lavender and epsom salt but my favorite is the idea of giving a nice message to yourself. We should all be kinder to ourselves…especially when we don’t feel well. Great tips!
    Aundrea recently posted…Healthy Organization | DIY Farmhouse Style Kitchen Rolling BarMy Profile

Dear Aundrea,
      Thank you so much for dropping by! I love the idea of being kind to ourselves too. Happy Valentines! Valerie

11. Sarah says:

Love that magnesium spray you placed on here. It does help mute my back pain slightly for the times when it’s muscle related pain. Good to see someone else who tried it with success as well!

Dear Sarah,
      I learned about this spray from my integrative health doctor and it has been a life saver! So glad it has worked for you too. Have a wonderful day and thank you for the sweet comment. Blessings, Valerie

12. Lydia says:

Reading a book. I just want to do that for a full day. 🙂

Dear Lydia,
      I totally agree! That would be a dream come true for me. Ha ha…with five kids, it is next to impossible for me to find quiet time of any sort. Have a lovely day. Valerie

13. Fuzzy socks and Kindle — YAS! 🙂 On a side note, that magnesium oil spray has done wonders for my dad with his hips so it does legit work. 🙂 Love this post!

Dear Alex,
      I agree, nothing beats a cozy pair of socks and a good book on the Kindle. =) That is wonderful that your dad has had success using the magnesium spray. It really does work! Blessings, Valerie

14. Lynn says:

All wonderful ideas! I Love Lucy — guaranteed to bring a smile! And we all need that! I love essential oils as well. I clean the shop with tea tree oil and it always smells so good. Customers regularly comment on it. It is soothing. Sometimes I mix with a cedarwood or evergreen oil. I hope you have a sweet Valentine’s Day!!
    xoxo
    Lynn
    Lynn recently posted…The Insect WomanMy Profile

Dear Lynn,
      I use tea tree oil too! I know your shop smells amazing, I can just picture it! Happy Valentine’s Day!
      Blessings, Valerie

15. Pam says:

I am a huge fan of the power of cozy socks, when it comes to self-care. I’m especially fond of the shea butter socks from Bath & Body Works. So soft!

Dear Pam,
      Oh wow! I have not heard of the shea butter socks from Bath and Body works. I will have to look those up, they sound amazing. Thank you for reading and your kind comment. Blessings, Valerie

16. Brenda says:

That’s great you found some things to help make your life more comfortable. I know when I’m sore, and epsom salt soak feels great!
    Brenda recently posted…The Garden CD from Kari Jobe Review and Giveaway #TheGarden #FlyByMy Profile

17. Wow, it isn’t too often that I meet other bloggers with Fibromyalgia! I’ve shared your article on my Facebook page, Positivity In Pain! I think it can help a lot of people!
    Jennifer Corter recently posted…5 Dates For Mere DollarsMy Profile

Dear Jennifer,
      Than you for reading. So sorry that you have Fibro too. It is such a difficult illness to deal with. Thank you so much for sharing my post, I truly appreciate it! Blessings, Valerie

18. Sue Jackson says:

Great post! I came here through Chronic Illness Bloggers, and I enjoyed your post so much that I included in on my own Weekly Inspiration post today:

You had some great choices here & I enjoyed the post.

Sue

Living with ME/CFS

19. Krisitne says:

Great post Valerie! I LOVE the socks, and I use those epsom salts ALL THE TIME! ♥♥♥ it!

20. Elizabeth says:

Thank you so much for participating in our first link up party at The Unbroken Smile. Great article! Thanks for sharing! ((Gentle Hugs))
    – Elizabeth