15 Responses to What To Expect When You Get An EMG and Nerve Conduction Study

1. So glad it wasn’t as terrible as you thought! and you are back to feeling “normal.”

• ValerieB says:

Dear Liz,
      Me too! It really was not all that terrible and for that I was extremely grateful. I think our minds and imaginations are worse than reality sometimes. 😉 Have a great week! Valerie

2. Sheryl says:

Superb insight from an outsider’s point of view, and very useful read for anyone who’s searching for info about this online! 👍

3. Brittany W says:

I had an EMG and Neeve conduction study done for MG back in 2014. It was one of my least favorite tests ever, and I don’t know why. I’ve had more painful procedures!
    Brittany W recently posted…Please Don’t Ask This About My Food AllergiesMy Profile

• ValerieB says:

Dear Brittany W.,
      I totally agree! I don’t know what it is about this test, it just gives me the creeps. Maybe it is that funny bone feeling, whatever it is, I was just glad to have it done and over with. But, there are definitely much more painful procedures that I have had done. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Valerie

4. Chronic Mom says:

I’ve never had an EMG, but I can really relate to the fear and anxiety that happens before a big test like that. I hate having things hanging over my head.
    Chronic Mom recently posted…6 things that are a big deal when you have chronic painMy Profile

• ValerieB says:

Dear Shelley,
      I totally agree. I think the dreading is the worst part of it all! Hope your week is lovely. Valerie

5. Amy says:

Very helpful for someone who hasn’t been through one. Thanks for sharing.

6. Lynn says:

Hi, Val! Thanks so much for explaining how these work. I have never had either test, and I really did not know anything about how they are done. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!
    Love and big hugs!
    Lynn
    Lynn recently posted…William II. Brown and Miss Eleanor Brannon marriageMy Profile

7. Vera says:

For me, this was the most painful thing I have ever felt and I’ve had 2 kids naturally. The pain was intense and unnecessary. I seriously believe there is a more humane way to find out if someone has Carpal Tunnel. Never again.

• ValerieB says:

Dear Vera,
      I agree it is painful. I am so sorry it was such a terrible experience for you. Medical testing is rough! I had two natural childbirths too, and I think I dreaded this test a whole LOT more than those births. I doubt I would have it done again, but in retrospect it wasn’t as awful as I had imagined. I had pictured torture chamber types of scenarios. Crazy me! Even though, it was fairly terrible on the pain scale. Every person deals with pain differently so it is hard to get an exact description. With all the descriptions on the web, I felt that each one fell a little short of describing what it is really like. I was hoping to put it into a proper perspective. Best wishes to you and thanks so much for reading and your kind comment. Blessings, Valerie

8. Thanks so much for sharing. I am going to need both tests soon.